Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Q is for Quilting- #AtoZChallenge

I've already listed many of my hobbies in previous postings, but I thought I'd show you a little more detail of one I'm especially proud of: Quilting (which is just as well- I'm not sure I could have come up with another "Q" word that would suit!)

I am not a super skilled at sewing- for a long time I was intimidated by the thought of using a sewing machine, so I hand stitched everything... and by everything I mean sewing projects and clothing repairs alike, including the two quilting projects I'm going to show you.

This is the completed top of what it going to be a fairly lightweight quilt for the bed. The edges are uneven in this photo- I actually measured and trimmed the black border down to a more manageable width.

It's about as simple as you can get: a large block pattern, with some of the blocks made up of nine smaller blocks. I tried to match the tones of the greens to the tons of pinks, and to make it all pop, I added white, ivory pattern blocks and put a black border round it all.

I started this project back in... 2012? It has literally taken almost five years to get this far- admittedly, a lot of that time was spent sitting in a box in the second bedroom while I did other things, but still- this is a long term project. Now that I have an actual sewing machine though (which I'm NOT intimidated by!) I look forward to finally finishing this project this year.

This is another little quilting project I did- it's a mini patch work quilt! I made it for a friend's dolls- it's based on the same simple block pattern as the first one is, it's just that these blocks are much smaller. Because it was only meant for "use" by dolls, it has no filling, and is simply backed with black polar fleece.

Most of the fabric I work with is bought brand new from crafting stores, but a lot of it was either given to me, or it's recycled. Both of these projects are completely hand pieced and stitched.

I am working on a new quilt to make a wall hanging, using a new technique called applique. I'm making one with a chicken theme, and I'll most definitely post about it when it's further along. I have further plans for a stained glass dragon quilt, and possibly even a crazy quilt, made from leftover scraps. Waste not want not, and all!

Anyway, I'll see you all for tomorrow's post, which is also a crafty subject: Rag Rugs. Keep on living and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your comments, questions and experiences.