I still managed to make space though. I took out shrubs and unwanted plants, moved gravel and wood chip mulch. I built on top of the narrow beds, and I built on top of the pavers themselves. My photos will show you how I arranged things to maximize on space.
Many of the beds were constructed after I moved into this house, using recycled materials, mostly in the form of concrete bricks. Some were built from purchased timbers, others were plastic planters that I bought. Two are recycled wooden crates, and I've even got several Styrofoam produce boxes for containers as well.
As of this morning, a line of containers wait to be seeded with greens for the winter. They are dark colored, to absorb the sunlight and trap the heat in the soil. They are actually sitting out on the edge of the driveway, in front of our fence. Some will live in front of the fence, and others will be moved to the front porch.
Here, two beds at the back of the house lie fallow, filled with layers of soil, manure and sprouting wheat straw. They were built directly on the flower bed that lined that fence. They will offer a very promising space to grow things next year.
I'll see you tomorrow on my next blog. Live and learn!